Founding Fathers Forum: some thoughts to add from a limey
Founding Fathers Home Page > Forum > Main01 Room > some thoughts to add from a limey
~
* founding fathers books founding fathers clip art and image gallery founding fathers gift ideas and collectibles founding fathers history founding fathers discussion forum founding fathers links buyers guide
~

Founding Fathers Forum: some thoughts to add from a limey

Posted by: david (dave.c.wilson@ThisIsToPreventSpam-720-RemoveThis.blueyonder.co.uk) on 20 Jan 2003 at 2:10:39 PM
In-Reply-To: Its not just taxation Finland posted by ACE on 9:23:15 PM 19 Jan 2003

I have read dana and ACE's reply most of which i agree with, the point of slavery however i have to take contention with.
The support Britain gave to the south was purley econmicaly motivated, much of the cotton imported to the uk came from the south and the British wished to see this market protected. It was only when the north begun to use the point of slavery in a rather cynical ploy to try and claim moral justifictaion for the conflict that british support for the south declined.
As a Brit it is intereting to note the diffenrt views on American history as is the case with nearly all history.
Some points I would like to make;

I seem to get the impression from some American sites that i have visted that britain still holds some kind of grudge regarding the loss of america. On the whole the majority of people saw american independence as a good thing, at worst its loss was seen little more than a insignificant loss (hindsights a great thing)the colonialts were widely supported both by the people and members of govenment. I am sure you know why Pittsburgh is so called.
It did not feel correct to be waring against people that were seen as their own, it is frequently regarded as a civil war in british history books.
Unsuprisingly many american sites i have visited give not enough vakue to the effect that the support France, Spain and the Dutch had on the British desire to continue war. It was not feasible fighting a war 3000 miles away when there are enemies looming on your doorstep.
I welcome any (sensible) comments, that means not you Brad, such remarks are more an insult to the intelligent US community than to anyone else.

david

Click here to return to the Main01 forum room home page.

Current replies to this message:

To reply privately:
If the person posting this message left their e-mail address, we inserted some random characters to prevent spammers from harvesting their address. Spammers do this with automated "bots" that constantly search the Web looking for e-mail addresses. Since you're a human being, not a bot, you can easily obtain the real address by removing the text that says "ThisisToPreventSpam-XYZ-RemoveThis." including the random number XYZ and the period at the end. For example, <whitten@ThisIsToPreventSpam-123-RemoveThis.despammed.com> would become <chris-(@)-interesting.com>.

To reply to the group:
The forum software that created this message has been replaced with new and improved forum software. Click here to go to the new discussion forums:

~
* founding fathers books founding fathers clip art and image gallery founding fathers gift ideas and collectibles founding fathers history founding fathers discussion forum founding fathers links buyers guide gift ideas and collectibles
~
© 2001-2010 Interesting.com