Founding Fathers Forum: american revolution questions
Founding Fathers Home Page > Forum > Main01 Room > american revolution questions
~
* founding fathers books founding fathers clip art and image gallery founding fathers gift ideas and collectibles founding fathers history founding fathers discussion forum founding fathers links buyers guide
~

Founding Fathers Forum: american revolution questions

Posted by: dana (tom_spark99@ThisIsToPreventSpam-116-RemoveThis.hotmail.com) on 16 Jan 2003 at 4:31:12 PM

I am from Finland and I have recently been compiling a project on the causes behind American revolution, the usual line i had been fed was that it was in the name of liberty or against taxation but when i actually looked at the raw facts this didnt really add up. if you could read below and please post any comments i would be very grateful

the fact is that the colonists were not heavily taxed, in fact at the time of revolution the british govt was bending over backwards to try and accomdate their concerns. At the time for every 26 shillings an englishman paid in tax a colonist only paid 1!. Also what i found quite shcoking was that at the time of the bosotn tea party the price of tea had never been so low. it was in fact tea smugglers who trhough the tea over side due to the reason that the low price of tea was damaging their trade.

if revolting in the name of liberty, why when the british abolished slavery 10 years after american independence, did the americans continue and even expand the practise for over a generation. not to mention the systematic slaughter of the native americans.

why if the bristish rule was so terribly oppresive did the colony given the greatest levels of freedoms and rights, compared say to the plantaions of jamaica revolt first.

these are some questions i have been trying to get answerd on other sites but i am afraid some of the reponses have not been very helpful "we kicked british ass coz they all queer and rape our women and burn churches" if anyone knows what this was supposed to mean please tell me.

dana.

Click here to return to the Main01 forum room home page.

Current replies to this message:

To reply privately:
If the person posting this message left their e-mail address, we inserted some random characters to prevent spammers from harvesting their address. Spammers do this with automated "bots" that constantly search the Web looking for e-mail addresses. Since you're a human being, not a bot, you can easily obtain the real address by removing the text that says "ThisisToPreventSpam-XYZ-RemoveThis." including the random number XYZ and the period at the end. For example, <whitten@ThisIsToPreventSpam-123-RemoveThis.despammed.com> would become <chris-(@)-interesting.com>.

To reply to the group:
The forum software that created this message has been replaced with new and improved forum software. Click here to go to the new discussion forums:

~
* founding fathers books founding fathers clip art and image gallery founding fathers gift ideas and collectibles founding fathers history founding fathers discussion forum founding fathers links buyers guide gift ideas and collectibles
~
© 2001-2010 Interesting.com